Sunday, January 13, 2019

soft.

Soft thoughts
this day.



Soft aching teeth -
blunt jaws holding
sorrow for
a lost cousin.
He's 31, old enough to know
to know better than the things he did
driving while
drunk.
A hole
he has dug for himself
my heart aches
to help
to soothe
but I am wary
cautious.
Getting involved could
could be dangerous.
But I sent a token text
of greetings and love.
I doubt I'll hear back
his dad, my uncle
says that's likely.
Thinking back
of my playmate of my twenties.
We lived a high life
road trips and hanging
out.
He grew darker
as the years went on
I miss him.
But I must guard myself.
Already
already prone
to darkness
do I welcome it further?
Can I meet him
on some common ground
a bite to eat
a warm embrace
calm words to
say
"I see you. I understand."
but would he hear it?
I'm worried.
That is not
a darkness I can hold again.
I have to watch and see
instead of
diving in
arms ready to hug.
My jaws cannot hold
that darkness again.

No comments:

Post a Comment